A burst water pipe is nothing to smile about. Our Laguna Niguel Realtors say that depending on the size of the damaged area, a large pipe can lose a gallon or more per second. Even smaller pipes can cause a drastic amount of water loss, not only driving up the water bill but also potentially causing a lot of water damage.

When you’re dealing with a burst pipe, it’s pivotal to take action quickly to stop excessive water loss and get the pipe fixed as soon as possible.

Depending on the pipe that bursts, though, do you even know who to get a hold of? If a pipe is in your home then most likely you need to call a local Laguna Niguel Plumber, but do you know who’s responsible for maintenance if the rupture happens outside of your home? The responsible party depends on where the pipe is located.

Is A Pipe Really Broken?

Prior to picking up the phone, our Laguna Niguel Real Estate Agents suggest you make sure that you know that a burst pipe is the problem. If you’re simply experiencing a drop in water pressure, it’s possible that you don’t have a burst pipe at all. Look for some of the signs of burst pipes, including:

  • Water spraying from the ground or visible section of pipe
  • Puddles forming despite a lack of rain
  • Odd colors or smells coming from tap water, or debris in the water
  • Sounds of running water even when visible water isn’t present
  • Significant increases in your water bill despite not using more water

If the pipe is located in your house, then you may take into account damp spots on the walls, blistering paint, an increase in mildew or even water stains appearing on your walls or ceiling.

Burst Water Mains

If a water main bursts, the responsibility for the pipe falls on the city or water district you get your water from. That means you need to contact them and let them know that there’s a damaged pipe near your home.

Our Laguna Niguel Realtors suggest you provide as much information as possible about the break, including the location and how much water seems to be coming from the pipe. If there were extenuating circumstances surrounding the break such as an accident or a worker driving a post down into the pipe, be sure to provide this information as well.

Pipes in Your Yard

Most of the time, if the pipe that breaks is in your yard then it’s thought of as your responsibility. Even if it’s the pipe that connects your home to the water main, there will most likely be a very little amount that your water district will be able to do about it. This means that you’re going to need to call a plumber and let them know what’s going on.

Also, make sure to provide as much detail about the problem as you can so they’ll have a better idea of what equipment is needed to fix the burst pipe.

Household Plumbing

If you have a broken pipe inside your home, then most Laguna Niguel Real Estate Agents will tell you that you’ll definitely need a plumber. Some household pipe problems are easy to spot, such as a pipe that’s spraying water in your basement.

Others are hidden in walls or only have small cracks and may require some work to get to. As with pipes in your yard, provide the plumber with as much information as you can so they can take care of the problem quickly.

What to Do When a Pipe Breaks

In addition to calling the appropriate party to get the leak fixed, there are other things you should do when you discover a broken pipe. If the pipe is in your yard or home, our Laguna Niguel Real Estate Agents suggest you locate the water shutoff valve in your yard (usually hidden under a black or metal cover) and turn it to shut off the water flow.

Furthermore, our Laguna Niguel Realtors suggest you clear out any affected areas, removing or relocating items that could be damaged by the water and placing them in areas where they can dry.

At your first convenience, head to the store and pick up a few gallons of bottled water to serve as drinking water until the problem is fixed. Make sure that you have enough to last a few days if you had a ruptured water main, as there will likely be a boil water order to follow.